The WMMAF is composed of autonomous and independent national federations. For an organization to formally represent their country as a member in the WMMAF there needs to be a in place that meets the following requirements:
- It needs to be formally registered as a non-profit organization
- It needs to have statutes
- It needs to be registered under a name that contains the country name and mixed martial arts
- It needs to group together the majority of the MMA organizations and clubs throughout the country
- It needs to show the ability to initiate regular national competitions in the near future
There are two kinds of members – Full members and Individual members. If in any country, there is no national federation in place to meet the demands of Full membership an individual can be appointed Individual Member of the WMMAF. This individual will thereby temporarily represent the country, with the assignment to establish a national federation or non-profit federation.